A tasty base is important to make the perfect curry, so we first create a paste by lightly caramelising finely diced onion with garlic, spices and a little bit of water. This then combines with a great balance of other ingredients: The chickpeas absorb flavours well and go with the sweetness of the plantain and nutritious callaloo. It’s a great-tasting one-pot meal that can also be eaten with rice to make it go further.
- 1 tsp Grace All Purpose Seasoning (Buy Now)
- 3 tsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 3 tsp chilli powder
- 4½ tbsp JCS Real Jamaican Style Curry Powder (Buy Now)
- 125ml water
- 200ml Grace Classic Coconut Milk (Buy Now)
- 2400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ripe plantain, peeled and sliced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (chilli)
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 150g fresh callaloo or spinach
- White rice, rice and peas or roti, to serve
Heat the oil in a pot over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 5–7 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the cumin, mixed herbs, chilli powder, all-purpose seasoning, 3 tbsp of the curry powder and a tiny bit of the water; stir together. Add just a tiny bit of the coconut milk and mix together to form a paste.
Add your chickpeas, plantain and scotch bonnet and mix into the curry paste, then add the rest of the water and coconut milk and stir.
Add the spring onions and remaining curry powder, along with n stir gently. Simmer for a further 5 minutes before removing the scotch bonnet and serving.