Coconut Rice and Beans is an easy and flavorful side dish that brings a fun tropical flair to your meal.
- 2 cups Grace Coconut Milk (Buy Now)
- 8 oz. Dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 green Scotch bonnet chilli, pierced with a paring knife
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with water, season liberally with salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring, until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain the beans in a colander and return the pan to medium heat.
- Heat the oil in the pan and then stir in the garlic and scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Return the beans to the pan, add the coconut milk and chile, and bring to a simmer. Cook the beans, stirring, until the coconut milk is reduced and thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse the rice in a sieve under cold water until the water runs clear, and then drain.
- Stir the rice and 2 cups water into the pan and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook, undisturbed, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover the rice and season with salt and pepper before serving.
Tried this recipe?
Mention @mdjamaicandelights or tag #mdjamaicandelights on Instagram