Coconut Rice and Beans is an easy and flavorful side dish that brings a fun tropical flair to your meal.
- 2 cups Grace Coconut Milk (Buy Now)
- 8 oz. Dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 green Scotch bonnet chilli, pierced with a paring knife
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with water, season liberally with salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring, until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain the beans in a colander and return the pan to medium heat.
- Heat the oil in the pan and then stir in the garlic and scallions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Return the beans to the pan, add the coconut milk and chile, and bring to a simmer. Cook the beans, stirring, until the coconut milk is reduced and thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse the rice in a sieve under cold water until the water runs clear, and then drain.
- Stir the rice and 2 cups water into the pan and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook, undisturbed, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover the rice and season with salt and pepper before serving.