Try these delicious Jamaican Curry Beef Ribs with Papaya & Mango.
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2lbs short rib of beef, bones removed, cut into ¾ inch cubes (approx. 1½ lbs meat after bone removal)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 3 cups yam, ¼ inch bite size slices, steamed until just tender (Buy Now)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced, seeded and membranes removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (19 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups long grain rice (uncooked)
- 2 tbsp sugar or 2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- ¾ cup fresh papaya, cut in ½ inch dice
- ¾ cup fresh mango, cut in ½ inch dice
- 4 tbsp fine shredded dried coconut (optional)
Rub the lime juice into the beef cubes.
Place the limed beef and curry paste in a large bowl or zip lock bag, mix well to coat the beef with the curry and let it rest 1 hour or longer.
- Mix the mango & Papaya together, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet medium heat, brown the curried beef . stir as you are browning the beef, Be careful not to burn.
- Add onions, cook until the onions are translucent and starting to brown, add garlic and Jalapenos.
- Continue to cook 5 minutes, stir at least once.
- Pour in the tomatoes, cover with a lid and simmer 45 minutes.
- Just a few minutes before serving add the cooked sweet potatoes, mix well, heat through.
- Meanwhile cook your rice using your favorite method stir in the sugar or sugar substitute while cooking, mix well ( If you are boiling the rice in water add sugar to the water while cooking).
- Serve the curried beef over the rice topped with the Papaya/Mango mixture.
- Sprinkle Coconut on top if you wish.
Tried this recipe?
Mention @mdjamaicandelights or tag #mdjamaicandelights on Instagram