Learn how to make Jamaican callaloo and saltfish, This classic Jamaican dish is super easy to create with a great blend of flavors and textures. Saltfish can be omitted for a vegan meal. Very light, refreshing and tasty.
1 can JCS Callaloo in brine, drained
- 1/2 pound saltfish
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/4 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 stalks escallion, chopped
- Put saltfish to soak in cold water for about 1 hour.
- Pour off water, add fresh water and cook for 10 minutes to remove salt.
- Pour off water, add fresh water and cook a second time if necessary.
- De-bone and flake saltfish
- Heat vegetable oil and sauté onion, escallion, tomato, scotch bonnet pepper and sweet peppers. Add flaked saltfish and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add JCS Callaloo and ground black pepper.
- Toss lightly; cover and allow to stand over low heat for about 2 minutes.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total time: 15min
Tried this recipe?
Mention @mdjamaicandelights or tag #mdjamaicandelights on Instagram