Enjoy an authentic taste of Jamaica with this simple Ackee and Saltfish recipe with a great blend of flavors and textures. Saltfish can be omitted for a vegan meal. Very light, refreshing and tasty.
1 can JCS Ackee in brine, drained
- 1/2 pound saltfish
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/4 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 stalks escallion, chopped
- Put saltfish to soak in cold water for about 1 hour.
- Pour off water; add fresh water and cook for 10 minutes to remove salt.
- Pour off water: add fresh water and cook a second time if necessary.
- De-bone and flake saltfish
- Heat vegetable oil and sauté onion, escallion, tomato, scotch bonnet pepper and sweet peppers. Add flaked saltfish and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add JCS Ackee and ground black pepper.
- Toss lightly; cover and allow to stand over low heat for about 2 minutes.
Prep time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15
Total time: 20min