Check out this classic Jamaican dish made with seasoned cornmeal cooked in coconut milk with pigeon peas, aromatic herbs and, spices. It is flavorful and quite a tasty dish on its own or served with a stew or curry.
- 2 cups GRACE Classic Coconut Milk (Buy Now)
- 1 1/2 cups Grace Pigeon/Gungo Peas (Buy Now)
- 1/4 tsp Ocho Rios AllSpice Pimento (Buy Now)
- 2 cups Grace Fine Enriched Yellow Cornmeal (Buy Now)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper
- Pour coconut milk, water, pigeon peas, garlic. onion, green onion, thyme, allspice, garlic powder, butter, salt and pepper in a large saucepan on medium-high. Bring to boil.
- Slowly pour cornmeal while stirring constantly with a large spoon until thickened. Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. Uncover, stir and cover again to cook for another 10 more minutes.
- Preparation: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Ready in: 30 mins
- Serves: 8 people