Coco Bread – a popular staple bread in Jamaica and other parts of the Caribbean made primarily with flour and coconut milk, then slightly sweetened just to tickle your taste buds. Buttery, slightly sweet with a spot on firmness on the outside and softness on the inside. Great for breakfast, lunch, snacking or even as dinner!
- 1 cup (240ml) Grace Coconut Milk (Buy Now)
- 2-3 tablespoons (25g-37g) sugar
- 4 tablespoons (56g) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 envelope (or packet) or 2 ¼ teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 1 large egg
- 3 ½ - 4 cups (437g-500g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (42g) or more unsalted butter, melted.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut milk, sugar, salt and butter. Heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds or more, until butter melts. Do not let it boil or overheat.
- Pour into large mixing bowl, add yeast, mix. Then add the egg.
- Stir in flour to form a soft dough, err on the side of less flour. Soft dough results in tender coco bread.
- Turn dough on lightly floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the dough. Cover loosely with a clean cloth and let it rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled. Punch the dough down.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board or surface. Cut the dough into about 10 equal pieces and roll each dough into a ball.
- Roll each piece with a rolling pin to about 6-7 inch diameter and about ⅛-¼ inch thick.
- Brush the surface of the dough with melted butter, then fold the dough in half and brush again. Place onto dough on prepared pan and repeat with remaining pieces, until done.
- Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Bake in a 350 F preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Brush again with butter, if desired.
- Serve warm or allow to cool. You may freeze when cool and reheat in the oven .
Tried this recipe?
Mention @mdjamaicandelights or tag #mdjamaicandelights on Instagram