Tired of boring mashed potatoes? Well try this mash made from boiled Jamaican Yam. A irresistible smooth and creamy mash with roasted garlic and peppers.
- 1 lb Yam (chopped and peeded) (Buy Now)
- 1 cup Grace Classic Coconut Milk (Buy Now)
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 3-6 large garlic cloves depending on how potent you want your mash
- 1 cup of bell peppers red and green chopped
- ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt
- black pepper and garlic granules to taste optional
Preheat the oven to 356F/180C/Gas mark 4
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the garlic cloves and chopped bell peppers, drizzle with olive oil then place in the oven to roast for roughly 15 minutes or until slightly golden, then remove and set aside.
While the garlic and peppers are roasting, place the chunks of yam in a large saucepan and boiled until tender, this should take 10-15 minutes.
Drain the excess water from the yam and use a potato masher to mash until smooth. As you begin to breakdown the yam use the coconut milk to aid this process.
Mix in the butter and pink salt
Squeeze the garlic pulp from out of the partially charred skin and mash into the creamed yam with some black pepper to taste (¼ teaspoon is suffice).
Add the roasted pepper to the yam and garnish with the remainder.
Tried this recipe?
Mention @mdjamaicandelights or tag #mdjamaicandelights on Instagram